Can’t always get what you want.

Rather delayed but it has been difficult trying to write the last few blogs as that would mean this adventure has come to an end. Not quite ready to admit its finality, lol.

Regardless, this one is loquacious. So grab a cup of your favourite beverage and here we go.

I last left you in Agulhas heading to the Kgalagadi via Namaqualand. I had hoped to do the drive during the flower phase of the Namaqualand but I made it for the scrubby brown bush phase. Pseudoscenic leading to the dry desert area full of red dunes that is the Kgalagadi. My last chance to see Aardwolf, Aardvark,  Brown Hyena, Serval and Meerkats. Surely this would the place.

The temperatures continued to rise for the long haul drive before approaching the first camp. Now the Kgalagadi is a very popular park. Many book 11+ months in advance. I was happy to have 5 days even if they were spread out. Twee Rivieren would be the first camp and the only place with guides to do game drives. So much for my nocturnal animal list.

Armed with a camera trap in hopes of maybe catching one of these elusive night critters. A more remote campsite was chosen and marked by leaving a table behind. The universal sign of occupancy in the bush. And off to the park for a quick gander. It quickly became apparent why they tell you to deflate your tires a bar or more. The corrugations were back, with sand, and no real escape for many stretches of the park. Once at the park I realized that you can book, many months in advance, and drive the eco trails or even the one way routes that would require a convoy, taking you into the more remote areas. Next time. Add it to the ever-growing redo list.

The afternoon was blistering hot, not much shade but it was nice to be in the bush again. The smell of dried out pans and all the babies full of the joy of life. An evening game drive turned out to be rather fortuitous and a nice way to start this adventure off.

Apart from the usual suspects, Dikkops and Scrub Hares frozen in the headlights, an African Wild Cat was spotted. But this one was not shy at all. He hung around for quite some time. Unsure why he was so at ease with the game bus, yup the bus was back, until he went into stalk mode. He had his eyes on something. With a quick pounce we soon realized he was not a smart kitty at all. A large King Cobra quickly reared up and shot its venom. It all happened so quickly. The cat kept at the snake who quickly fled to a tree near by. The cat persisted until the cobra fled. Wow.

Stealth mode
I spy with my little eye…
King Cobra trying to get away from the silly kitty.

Not a bad start to a windy, cool evening. Shortly, after that wonderful sighting, another snake, a rather glutinous Puff Adder. Whatever he had feasted on made him rather sluggish and well-rounded or oblong.

Sausage like adder, does my meal make me look fat? Doth yes! Probably a mongoose.
Licking the air checking us out.
So well camouflaged. No wonder they are hard to spot.

Snake night it is. It has been far to long since I’ve had a good snake sighting. Soon to be followed by a Barn Owl and a new mammal – Cape Fox. Very cute little guy similar to a jackal but fluffier tail. And the Puff Adder once more on the way back to camp, he really had no motivation to move.

Five more minutes ma! Barn owl atop a sociable weaver nest. The sociable weavers make these massive nests. They keep adding day in day out until it collapses from the weight or the branch breaks. Then they start again.
Cape Fox, trying to cross the road but forgot what he was trying to cross for so he weaved left and right.
Fluffy tail.
Still fat, still chilling and not moving.

Dawn chorus was early the next morning as we ventured north to Nossob camp, home for 2 nights. Camera trap managed to get a jackal, or rather the head of a jackal and the butt end. Hopefully, tonight will be better.

Ambling towards the next camp a plethora of cars were stopped up a head. Great start to a day, must be a cat of some sorts. Sure enough two male lions, or three. And the back two were skinny with their back bones showing. Definitely in need of a meal. They also seemed less than impressed with the leader of the coalition. Taking many rests and ignoring his calls. Trouble is brewing. Perhaps a failed coup?

The leader.
Lion-Brothers walking 1web
Other two members of the coalition in concert and plotting.


And soon they flopped down, all under their own respective tree. With the tall grasses not a hair could be seen. Time to move on.

Next was this little guy practicing his Tinder profile picture, lol.

Cape Ground Squirrel. The closest I get to a meerkat is these guys standing upright.

Quickly followed by this little one, he was barely the size of my hand.

Baby leopard Tortoise

And nap time, just before the rest stop this kindergarten class taking its required nap. Everything was under or in a tree as per usual on these blistering days.

Nap time
Playing hooky…watch out for the lions and leopards little one’s.

After a much-needed bladder stop I noticed a large flock of birds circling. But not the usual vultures. Medium to small-sized birds, 20-30 circling and diving. Time to go and investigate. There must have been an emergence of some sort of flying insect, all these birds were loving it. Hawking their breakfast, lunch and dinner. Such close passes around the bakkie. Not caring at all, I could have reached up and touched many of them. Astonishing. The Juvenile Lanner Falcon was the most numerous bird.

Pale-morph Tawny Eagle in a rather curious flying position.
Juvenile Lanner Falcon making a quick pass before hawking more bugs.
Just such beautiful bird, that speckled breast.
He’s hanging on to a little winged bug with those enormous claws and nibbling as he manages to fly straight. Note the wings in his beak.

I watched the feast close to an hour. People drove past me probably thinking I was crazy but it was so cool watching them do all these mid-air maneuvers to catch the bugs. And eating them whilst in flight. Pretty freaking awesome in my book.

Many of the waterholes were dry, even those with solar pumps. A puddle or two could be found surrounded by my avian friends.

Scaly-feathered Weaver
Tawny in the golden light.
Monotonous Lark, I think.
Kori Bustard displaying with his crest erect and his throat bubble on full display for the absent ladies.
Eurasian Hobby
Red-necked Falcon
Red-necked Falcon
Juvenile Dark Chanting Goshawk
Looking ever so menacing from his perch.

The night was unsuccessful for the camera trap and for the remainder of the days too.

Early rise to explore around the northern aspect of the park just shy of the border. A little confused as the exit north was behind the camp not readily visible. The gate for the front gate was the wrong choice, I realized after a wee amble. The faint call of a lion, the night prior, was towards the north. Sure enough these beautiful boys show up.

Lion-Brothers-drinking 1web
Drinking is tough sometimes.
He kept changing puddles
Sure enough standing was too much
As was kneeling so flop.
Reunited under a massive tree
And a little perspective of how hard it is to spot these boys. Straight shot.

The heat grew from the early morning. And of course on a hot day with no shade in sight a Cheetah is sighted, or two. Under a tree of course and they quickly flop down. I tried to wait them out but after 3 hours in the searing heat with no AC and only my own musings to keep me sane, I cracked and moved on.

Two brothers, really there are two. You can kind of see the other right under the tree trunk. An ear is poking out, mocking me.

A beautiful day, hot yes but the clouds ever so fluffy dotted about the wild blue yonder.


The next day started cooler, heading West. Skirting the Botswana border for a couple of days. The park encompasses South Africa, Botswana and a dash of Namibia. A rock formation or mound separates the countries. Off to Mata Mata, the place for Meerkats. There is even a troupe in the camp ground. The clouds gathered as I drove, made the day pleasant, temperature wise.

Overcast skies and wind makes prey rather skittish and even harder to find. The day was growing dark and windy. And before I reached camp thunder and lightning in the distance. It chased us all to camp and then abated. Temporarily. Not much was out on such a day but a few made their appearance, briefly.

Agama trying to get a little sun.
This little bugger gave me such a fright as he dashed in front of the bakkie,
Black-Chested Snake Eagle
In flight, I do love a bird in flight.
Jackal midst the tall grass.
Secretarybird family.
Begging for food. Mum, mum, mum, I’m hungry, mum, mummy, mom…he kept calling.
Finally she acquiesced and he had a quick meal. And a Hartebeest photo bomb. note the wonky horn.

The Mata Mata camp has a bird hide, a quick look revealed an injured hyena wading in the waterhole. He tried to hide as the water laden clouds rolled in. He hid under a tree as the first torrential down pour came. Luckily after siting down briefly in the bird hide, the thunder rumbled quite menacingly enticing me to go set up camp. Moments later heading back to the bird hide the deluge was unleashed. Sadly, it was over rather quickly. The dry parched land soaked up every drop. The birds gathered. It was only a few minutes later when the real storm hit. Lightening strikes all too close. Made me glad to be next to a tall tree, not under it as a roof top tent is quite high. The rain came from every which way. The bird hide, the only other place apart from the bakkie to hide, now became a wet prison. The wind blew the rain 360 degrees, there was not a dry spot to stand in and hide. Sopping wet after 30 minutes of torrential rain I scuttled back to the bakkie. Camera safely nestled and dry. Priorities, lol!

The injured hyena, slowly making his way through the grasses.
The rain unleashed.

And that’s when the fun started. The camp was now a lake. I was on one island safe and dry, or so I thought, in my roof top tent. The ground tents were swimming in inches of water. We gathered shovels and started to dig trenches for the water to flow into the field away from camp. I helped my neighbours out, honestly I was worried one of them might have a heart attack from all the digging so I offered. An hours worth of digging and the water started to flow. In the late evening the rains started again and continued into the wee hours.

Comforted by a dry tent I snuggled in for a cool night of sleep.  Shortly after falling asleep I was rudely awakened by an ice-cold drop of water. Turns out the tent is water-resistant but the saturation point was reached, at least along the seams. None of which you can avoid and sleep comfortably. Could be worse, could be completely soaked. I managed to zig zag myself so even if the drops dropped, my head would not be their target. Nestled in again, by now well past midnight. Enter stage two of sleep deprivation. The lone lion.

The rain had stopped, at last. Now all the scent marks and boundary markers of the predators had been erased. He wanted all in the land to know this was his land. It’s been far to long since I’ve heard the full power of a male lion roar. He went on for a couple of hours. I could hear him circling his area as he marched roaring about every 15 minutes. He stopped just before sunrise.

By morning the rain gave way to a beautiful dawn sunrise. There was no evidence that such an unleashing occurred, apart from the trenches. Tired and somewhat sleep deprived I made my way back to Twee Rivieren for the last night in this amazing park. Needless to say the rain prevented any Meerkat sighting. I had one more day to try to see the desert animals, and it wasn’t looking very promising.

Back to the south and Twee, a slow going journey to enjoy every last moment this enchanting place had to offer. I may not have seen what I had hoped for thus far but what I saw instead was just as awe-inspiring. And the best was yet to come.

Ambling slowly as not to miss anything and because those corrugations were on my last nerve I came upon this little cutie. The morning was cool and the sun was just starting to heat us all up.

Slender Mongoose Cuteness
Just chilled out next to the car.

That cuteness gave way to a parade of vehicles and a beast of a lioness. The camera lenses that would give anyone an inferiority complex were everywhere. We all took turns playing lead car and following her on her journey. It took some time but I had finally maneuvered into the front and I had a feeling she would drink at a large pan that sprang up after last nights rain. Hurrying, as one can going 10 KMH, to get to the perfect spot. Eventually she had enough and crossed the road and over the hill.

Not liking her morning salad at all. She snacked on a few grass leaves and made all sorts of unhappy faces.
Upward cat yoga pose. Claw sharpening before the march.
She is ripped, just a mass of muscle. Wow!
Glaring at a rather large lens. Not her first rodeo, well scarred and learned no doubt.


On a natural high after being that close to such large lioness drinking it NEVER gets old.

Slowly making my way I next came upon this big guy. It stopped me in my tracks. I mean I’ve seen them down before but those are usually the babies. This guy was just chilling.

Battle scarred rump.

A little ways down the rest of the Journey emerged.

Journey of giraffe. They were on either side of the road and more cresting over the hill. The rains brought them in. I’m sure they lost a couple to the lightning.

Rains bring out the birds especially if the sun is out the following morning. This morning was no exception.

Gorgeous pair of Swallow-Tailed Bee Eaters
Still a little fluffy as the sun just started to warm them.
Shaft-Tailed-Whydah 1web
Shaft-Tailed Whydah
Showing off his Shaft-tail
Dikkop or a water thick-knee, usually a nocturnal bird. The cool weather and the storm must have confused him. It was the middle of the day and by the looks of his legs he enjoyed a good mud bath.

The Twee camp had not seen any of the rain we had the night before, not even a drop. The roads went from muddy and soggy to a dusty mess. Last night in this amazing park and a night drive seemed the way to commemorate the evening. Probably one of my favourite game drives to date. We had an older guide, nearing 60 I’d wager. There are many ruins from settlers in the park and his great-uncle, if I’m remembering correctly, was born in one of those preserved stone homes. He was amazing. We went down the flora, fauna tour and we ate wild cucumbers and learned about Devil’s Claw and wild flowers and trees and all those little things I love to learn about. And then that sunset, a fantastic way to end my time in the park.

Yellow Tailed mongoose in the early evening.
Last sunset in the Kgalagadi, sigh

We arrived back at camp, a rather full camp, in the dark. I had forgotten my head torch and only had my UV light aka scorpion finder to get back to camp. Turns out this was rather fortunate. These windy nights bring out the scorpions. They are hard to see in the dark even with a good spot light, but this UV light was quite useful. The scorpions glow, full body glow as they race towards you. It’s an unsettling feeling, walking in the dark with these glow bugs racing towards you, pincers up ready to vanquish anything they cross. No need to worry I made it back in one piece.

The final morning, the plan was to sleep in and head out and to Augrabies Falls en route to The Karoo. I couldn’t resist going in for just a few more hours one last time.

Slow start with a few birds and the usual Wildebeest walking the pans. Reaching the predetermined marker, I turned around and headed for the exit or I’d have never left. On the way up there had a been a herd of Springbok and one rather pregnant and uncomfortable Springbok. On the way back I saw her in the distance. She lay behind a bush. There is always a bush, even in the middle of nowhere, whenever you want to see something amazing. Shortly, this little guy emerged. I may not have seen the actual birth but I saw the first steps and suckling. Beyond words.

That’s the bush. Those are the first wobbly steps.
Mum quickly licked and bit the umbilical cord shortening it. Nudging the little one forward.
It took sometime to figure out which end had the goods but eventually this little one figured it out. First suckle. Pretty amazing.

Nothing could be better than a new-born. Still excited I was flagged down by a passing vehicle as is the custom to share possible sightings on the road you’ve come from. New born Springbok, I shared enthusiastically. Not a flinch from this lovely couple. Theirs ought to be good if the newborn didn’t render a response. Cheetah! They actually saw the hunt, in front of their car. If I hurry, she’s still eating and has cubs. The dust was blowing behind me before they could finish that sentence, lol!

Mum, taking a breather.
Brother #1, greedy guts trying to eat it all, can you see brother #2 completely flattened devouring the carcass of a Springbok.
Happy Family
Look of contentment. Bloody, hot but full bellied.

Now this is how you end your time in an amazing reserve. Kgalagadi, you may not have given me what I had hoped to see but this is beyond what I could have hoped for. Here’s hoping the Karoo will provide as well.


2 thoughts on “Can’t always get what you want.

  1. Barbara besgrove-spence April 12, 2017 / 18:41

    I have enjoyed reading your exciting travels. Your pictures are beyond awesome!!! Thank you for sharing your amazing trip. Miss you at CHW!


    • waywardphysician April 12, 2017 / 18:43

      Still have a couple more to finish, keep reading and many thanks for following along 😊


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s